How To Raise A Hyperactive Child

I was very jumpy as a child, never sitting still and always getting into one trouble or another. "Which kind pikin be this sef?" I often heard my mother asked the Creator. Trust me, it wasn't a rhetorical question.

I remember this one time I dismantled our television set because I wanted to find out what made it display pictures. Well, I never did find out, and after I had dismantled it, I didn't possess the necessary skills to couple it back together. My father, a disciplinarian of the highest order, spanked me so hard that I really began to see pictures. The irony!

While growing up, I was quite fond of playing football, I still do. In fact, I loved it so much that even after the amputation of my right limb, I continued to enjoy the thrill that came from engaging in the sport.

Now, I know what you are thinking so no. I didn't play with those who were physically challenged as myself; they would be too weak for me. No offence comrades. Rather, I played with those who are considered to be 'physically fit'. And while playing with them I enjoyed no preferential treatment and I wouldn't have it any other way either. So, when they roughed me, I rough them. When I kick them, they kicked me. I can't tell you how many clutches was broken as a result of my playing soccer and how much beating was received. I'd cry my eyes out, but the next day 'there I go again!'

If you happen to have a hyperactive child like I was, please stop feeling sorry for yourself and don't ask God what you did wrong that he had to curse you with such a child. Seriously, I knew for a certain that my parents sometimes felt that way, although they love me very much. 

So what do you do if peradventure you happen to be the parent of a hyperactive child? Simple — find a way to help the child channel all those energies positively. You know the way some children are often feeling weak and tired? Well, hyperactive children are the direct opposite because they are always filled with so much energy and adrenaline. Those children you decide to take out but who end up dragging you everywhere? Yeah, those are the type.

It was only years later, as an adult, that I really began to understand that one of the reasons why I read so much is because of my hyperactive-ness as a person. The only difference now is that I've finally found a productive way to channel all those energies. And yes, even to this day, I still find it hard to just sit still and do nothing; but at least now I'm acquiring knowledge because of it.

Today, if I were to chose between a weak, normal and hyperactive child: I will choose the hyperactive one. All you've to do is give him or her something productive to do and then watch him go! I mean those children can work.

I recently tested my hypothesis with one of my neighbours child, who by all indications is Type H. I gave him some simple arithmetic to do and also some writing assignment, and before I could catch my breath he was done and asking me for another one. I finally advised the mother to get him a private tutor. I cannot come and kill myself!

Most of the truly great men and women of this world were once hyperactive children themselves. From Thomas Edison to Helen Keller; from Leonardo da Vinci to Mel Gibson; from Donald Trump to Fela Anikulapo Kuti. Also not forgetting Alex Avi. I would say they're in pretty good company don't you think?


Comments