Why There Is No Marriage In Heaven

Why did God permit humans to get married on earth but not in heaven? Well, to answer that question we must go back to the very beginning.

God never intended for man to be married; not in heaven nor on earth. But dear old Adam was very lonely, so God had to create a help meet for him.

The purpose and plan of God for creating man can be found in Revelation 4:11: “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created”. Do you see that? You and I were created for God's pleasure — nothing more, nothing less!  

Although we are to derive pleasure from our relationships with our spouse, children, friends, wealth, toys, etcetera; God ought to be the greatest source of pleasure in our lives. After all, He made us for this sole purpose. Proverbs 16 verse 4 sheds more light on this:


“The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil”.


He made everything and everyone for Himself; saints and sinners alike!

Apostle Paul in one of his letters to the church at Corinthians, clearly expressed his opinion about marriage. Let's hear from the Sage:


“But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn”.

— I Corinthians 7:6-9


Verse 31

“And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away”.


Marriage is a fashion of this world and it's going to pass away!


Verse 32-35

“But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband. And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction”.


Is it just me or did he say marriage is a distraction! 😮

Now, I know most people would not agree with me, even despite the Scriptures I just quoted above. But I'm used to standing alone; in fact, I think I thrive in it. 

It's quite unfortunate that we now live in a society that think you're weird, abnormal and disturbed to be single beyond a certain age. Women are the most victimized. Being single is considered to be a social anomaly and not a choice a person can chose for themselves. But all the while, God's original plan for us all is to remain single! Marriage was plan B.

Everyday, young men and women are pressured by family, friends, and even strangers into getting married. Yet, a lot of people are being suffocated by their marriages but they dare not speak-up, separate nor divorce. Society will chew them raw! 

Most people regard marriage as though it was their calling from God. So it is either they get married or die! They don't know or pretend not to know, that we've been called for one purpose and one purpose only — to enjoy God all the days of our lives and to simply let Him enjoy us. 

Now, I know most of you are probably thinking to yourself: “does that mean he'll never get married?” Well, I guess we just have to wait and see. 😀

 


Comments