CONTENTMENT IS NOT ENOUGH

It is hard and almost impossible for a poor man to live a life of integrity; because his poverty (lack of money) will always tempt him to lie, cheat, steal. In my opinion, the surest way to go about living a moral and upright life is for a man to make money... lots of it. 

Yet, there are people who already have lots of money but still comit financial fraud. Well, their problem is lack of contentment. Contentment is that virtue that helps you stay satisfied with what you have, no matter how small it may be.

However, contentment alone is not enough. You may have contentment but still be tempted to steal. You may have contentment and still go ahead to steal. That's because even the greatest of contentment would be tested in the presence of serious lack and need. So trying to tell a hungry and desperate man to stay content is like trying to make a lion a vegetarian. 

The bible says godliness with contentment is great gain. True. Also, money with contentment is great moral security. Do you still remember the prayer of Solomon in Proverbs 30? 

“Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain”

It's simple — if you don't have enough you're more likely to steal, even though you are the most godly person in your neighborhood. That's because contentment cannot thrive in the midst of abject poverty, lack and want. Therefore, if you must really be content and maintain a pure conscience before God and man in the affairs of money, then you must think, work and explore every positive venture in making lots of money for yourself. Because the more financial comfort you enjoy, the more moral security you buy. 

I am not delusional to think that money comes with contentment, but neither does poverty. We learn contentment from the Holy Scriptures. The more we align our thoughts with the Word of God, the more content we become. But for that contentment to be steadfast in a world where money is as important as oxygen, we must be financially stable.


Comments