Bayelsa’s Greatest Export

I thought roasted plantain and groundnut was special until I ate roasted plantain and fish. I would never forget the first time I ate this food, it was around 2011 and I was still an undergrad student. That day marked the beginning of a lifelong romance with this incredible meal.

Two years ago, I had an argument with a friend of mine who resides in Lagos, on which is more delicious — boli and groundnut or boli and fish? After arguing for a while, we both decided to call a truce and burry the issue. 

Last year, he had the opportunity to travel to Port-Harcourt for a business deal. And after he was finished with what he went there for, he decided to give plantain and fish a try. That same night he called me to concede defeat. He said and I quote: “boli and epa dey learn for where plantain and fish dey!”

My respect and admiration for boli and fish grew even more after I saw on the news how plantain and fish is being eaten by both blacks and whites in the United Kingdom. I also heard that even in the United States, it is a much beloved meal. Indeed, it is our greatest export!

A colleague and friend of mine can't go a week without eating plantain and fish. And neither can I. So while the Americans promote their sandwiches and hamburgers; the Friench their fries, and Italians their pizzas, allow me to promote plantain and fish. The food too sweet abeg!


Comments