WHAT IF THERE IS NO GOD?

Recently, someone asked me a very sensitive and important question: “what if it was all just a story?“ “What” I replied. “What if it wasn't real?” he continued. “The whole foundation of Christianity; all the stories we've grown-up to believe?” I was silent for about twenty seconds, perceiving within me that my reply may either make or mar this person's faith for life! Then finally I said, “well it would have still been worth it. Because whether we like it or not, man has to believe in something. And I would rather be a Christian than be anything else”.

In days to come, I'd ponder on that question and my own reply. And the more I thought about it, the more certain I became of my stand — man really has to believe in something or else he'll probably go insane! The idea that his life is meaningless, like that of an animal that's merely groomed and fattened by it's owner just to be killed in the near by and by is a proposition man cannot simply accept.

So, man has to believe in something; hope for something; have faith in something. An atheist believe there's no God, but that is a belief in itself. An agnostic believe neither in the existence nor non-existence of God, which is also a belief. Man has to believe in something as he can't afford not to believe. As bread must sustain his physical life; likewise faith his spiritual life.

The Bible says “faith is an anchor of the soul”. What is an anchor? ⚓ “An achor is a device usually of metal attached to hold a ship or boat by a cable and cast overboard to hold it in a particular place by means of a fluke that digs into the bottom” {Merriam-Webster Dictionary}. In other words, an anchor is something that serves to hold an object firmly.

Therefore, in the same way that an anchor holds a ship in one place — faith holds man in one piece; it keeps him together; it keeps him going. Because without faith in God, without faith in something, anything, man would inevitably fall apart. So, even if the stories of the Bible may end-up being an ordinary fable invented by mortal men, I'd still chose to believe.

More so, I believe because the Spirit bears witness with my own spirit that it is true. I believe because of the tangible results I see in my own life daily. I believe because the teachings of Jesus are sound and good for me both physically, mentally, maritally, financially and spiritually. Finally, I believe because just like Peter, I've often whispered to myself: “where else would I go Lord, you alone have the words of eternal life?”









Comments